Wednesday, January 28, 2009

I've got a super cute story from this past Saturday that I need to sit down and write about when I get a generous time limit. Rose had a special visitor and I hope to have photos by the time I write as well.

But since I have a few minutes now, I'll have to mention what I came across last night. Usually I try to sit down and relax in the evenings and flip through the horse magazines that come in the mail. It's my quiet, wind down time. Last night, while flipping through the February's issue of Horse and Rider magazine, it seems that there was a good article back in December's magazine. Whatever happened to my issue I do not know but I'm going to call and see if I can't get a back issue. Apparently the article was called "Short-Sighted Sellouts" and it seems to have been about sellers selling horses with obvious problems and not disclosing the issues or masking the issues. Some of them even passing pre- purchase exams only for the problems to surface once the horse arrives at the buyer's home. There's a few letters in the Mail Call section from readers on the article and also a note from H&R saying they were bombarded with letters on this subject and received many stories of readers who've bought horses with undisclosed problems.

That is my next project on this blog, to find and provide links to as many articles as I can find on the subject.

On that same note (and I know I said I was going to try to quit seeing stuff like this bother me, but this one just blew my mind), I also opened up my January 15th issue of the Quarter Horse News and started thumbing through only to see a particular ad congratulating Rick Ford of Cinder Lakes Ranch on being the highest bidder on a stallion's service for the Horsemen For Christ Stallion Auction. I about fell out of my chair. I never saw that one coming. There was just something about the one name being in the same paragraph with the other name that just, well, it was just odd. It was definitely an uncanny "read" night for me, seeing that same "good 'ole boy" sent us a horse and didn't disclose her conformation issue.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am sure that I have the December Horse & Rider magazine if you need it. Just post on here and let me know if you need it.