Friday, January 9, 2009

They say a good breeder is a caring breeder and a caring breeder really cares about what they help bring into this world no matter the time that goes by.

I know I've always tried to remain a small piece in the lives of the horses that have ever hit the ground here. I look forward to emailed updates and phone calls and I absolutely love Christmas time. At Christmas is when I receive the cards with photos of the owners with their beloved horses, I'd have to say it's probably the one time I get the most updates. As a caring breeder, when your horse is settled in a new home, you still want to hear how they're doing and hope owner and horse are getting along well and I do check in especially in the first few weeks.
Course we all know that didn't happen in our case with Rose. We were dropped faster than a hot rock when I addressed her back issues to her breeder.

Yesterday however I got the kind of updates you don't want to hear. The new owner of our buckskin colt from last year had the vets out. He was colicking and upon ultrasound, they found he had twisted. He was humanely euthanized yesterday afternoon. The owner was devastated as she expected such great things with her new partner and it may take her some time to move on. I, being the one who raised him this first year, shed a few tears as well at the end of our phone conversation. It's hard not to get emotional when you actually care.

Helluva Player

4 comments:

KD said...

I'm so sorry for you and the new owner.

Anonymous said...

I am sorry for both of your's losses. I also wanted to give you this link. It is to the Haverty ranch. They own a solid white paint mare named Gunners Cool Whip. Thought you might want to see it.

Anonymous said...

http://www.havertyranch.com/sweet-ride.html
Sorry forgot to put it up.

CaliGirl9 said...

Godspeed, sweet baby. You left the world too soon...